Residential stormwater management issues are handled at the local level. You may want to contact your local authorities for information on local regulations and to ask if assistance is available. Some local authorities also handle stormwater-related complaints.
Information about stormwater management can be found on EPA’s National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Web site.
- NPDES Home – includes links to EPA Regional Offices for local contacts
- NPDES Stormwater Program – note, this is for non-residential permits
For general information about nonpoint source pollution, or, pollution that is caused by rain or snowmelt moving over and through polluted ground, you may wish to review the information found on EPA’s Nonpoint Source Pollution (NPS) Web site.
- Polluted Runoff: Nonpoint Source Pollution
- Types of Nonpoint Source Pollution
- EPA Regional Office Contacts for NPS Programs in Your Area
Additional related resources from EPA: