Frequent Questions

How can I locate information about the impacts of sewage discharge and overflow?

Information about the impacts of sewage discharge and sewer overflow can be found within EPA’s National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Web sites. Information is available for both combined sewer overflows and sanitary sewer overflows.

General information about municipal wastewater and treatment is also available.

EPA also provides regulatory and enforcement information about sewage discharge and overflow.

Please contact your county public health department and/or your local water and sewer authority (public sewer utility) to report environmental violations and request help when, for example:

  • Your backyard is flooded
  • Local land use conditions create drainage problems or flooding
  • A septic system malfunctions

NPDES Program contacts can be found on the NPDES Web site.

Suspected environmental violations can be reported online.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.