For emergencies and other sudden threats to public health, such as:
- oil and/or chemical spills,
- radiation emergencies, and
- biological discharges,
call the National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802.
The following frequent questions contain important information about reporting oil spills:
- When are You Required to Report an Oil Spill and Hazardous Substance Release?
- What Information is Needed When Reporting an Oil Spill or Hazardous Substance Release?
- Frequent Questions about Discharge of Oil Regulation (Part 110)
General information regarding EPA’s emergency response to oil spills is available on the following Web pages:
- Oil Spills Prevention and Preparedness Regulations Web page
- Emergency Response Web page
- Overview of the Discharge of Oil Regulation ("Sheen Rule")
Information about specific oil spills is available from the following EPA Web pages:
Historical information is also available in this EPA document:
Further government resources concerning oil spills are available on the following Web pages:
- US Coast Guard - National Pollution Funds Center - Spill Response Funding Web Page
- You may also contact your state environmental agency to find out about reportable quantities and reporting procedures for your state authorities.