Frequent Questions

Who do I contact to report a wastewater issue in my community?

Please contact your county public health department and/or your local water and sewer authority (public sewer utility) to report environmental violations and request help when, for example:

  • Your backyard is flooded,
  • Local land use conditions create drainage problems or flooding, or
  • A septic system malfunctions.

You can locate county government contacts using this mapExit

The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program regulates discharges of pollutants into rivers, lakes, streams and coastal waters.

Most states are authorized to administer the NPDES program. If you have questions or concerns about a discharge to a surface water in an authorized state, please contact an NPDES coordinator from the NPDES Regional and State Contacts list.

Report a possible violation of the Clean Water Act (CWA) or an NPDES Permit

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.