The Methamphetamine Remediation Research Act of 2007 (PDF) (56pp, 5.7M, About PDF) required EPA to develop guidelines for remediating former methamphetamine (meth) labs.
The Voluntary Guidelines for Methamphetamine Laboratory Cleanup (PDF) (48 pp, 4 MB) provides technical guidance for state and local personnel responsible for meth lab cleanup. The Guidelines:
- are based on an extensive review of the best available science and practices
- address general cleanup activities
- identify best practices for specific items or materials
- discuss sampling procedures
- provide additional technical resources.
View Voluntary Guidelines for Methamphetamine Laboratory Cleanup for FAQs and additional information. Questions about these Guidelines can be directed to the Office of Emergency Management.
Additional EPA resources about methamphetamine laboratories:
- Methfields: Brownfields Funding and Technical Assistance to Address Clandestine Drug Labs. Additional questions can be directed to Office of Brownfields and Land Revitalization Contact Information webpage or specific Brownfields Contacts.
- Report to Congress on RCRA Hazardous Waste Identification of Methamphetamine Production Process By-products (PDF, 22 pp, 271K)
- For more information about waste and how it is regulated check out the EPA’s Land, Waste, and Cleanup Topics webpage.
- You may also wish to contact the Office of Land and Emergency Management or the Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery for additional information.
The following are additional non-EPA resources about methamphetamine laboratories: EXIT
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment - Meth Lab Cleanup Program
- King County, Washington State - Illegal Drug Lab Cleanups
- Minnesota Department of Health - Methamphetamine and Meth Labs: Lab Cleanup
- Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services - Cleaning Up Hazardous Chemicals at Former Meth Labs
- Oregon Department of Human Services - Drug Lab Cleanup Program
- Idaho Clandestine Drug (Meth) Lab Cleanup Program
- Indiana Methamphetamine Investigation System – Cleanup Information
- Kentucky Division of Waste Management – Methamphetamine Lab Cleanup