Frequent Questions

Where can I find out about my drinking water or private well?

EPA’s Office of Water (OW) provides information for consumers about drinking water supply, quality, and regulations. Consumers can find out about water quality in their community, how drinking water is regulated, and how they can get involved with drinking water protection. 

EPA identifies and sets limits for the amounts of contaminants in drinking water. Contaminant standards are required by the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).

A Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) is an annual water quality report delivered by community water systems to their customers. The CCR includes information on source water, levels of detected contaminants, compliance with drinking water rules, and other general information. Reports are due to customers by July 1st of each year.

You may also be interested in the following publications:

EPA regulates public water systems but does not regulate private wells, though state and local governments may set rules to protect private well users. EPA’s website on Private Drinking Water Wells provides well users with information about using private wells, testing water quality, well water protection tips, and state contact information.

For information about drinking water quality research, water security, and monitoring, you may wish to visit EPA’s Water Topics page.

For information about what EPA does to protect source water (ground water, streams, lakes, and rivers), please visit OW’s Source Water Protection Web site.

The Safe Drinking Water Hotline provides information about EPA's drinking water regulations and other related drinking water and ground water topics, such as public drinking water systems, source water protection, large capacity residential septic systems, commercial and industrial septic systems, injection wells, and drainage wells.

Safe Drinking Water Hotline staff can be contacted by telephone at 1-800-426-4791 Call: 1-800-426-4791 (Toll free).

For more information, you may contact the Office of Water.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.