Frequent Questions

Who do I contact to report a wastewater issue in my community?

Please contact your county public health department and/or your local water and sewer authority (public sewer utility) to report environmental violations and request help when, for example:

  • Your backyard is flooded,
  • Local land use conditions create drainage problems or flooding, or
  • A septic system malfunctions.

A list of state health and environmental agencies can be found on EPA’s Web site:

For more information about managing septic systems, please see the Frequently Asked Question:

The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program regulates discharges of pollutants into rivers, lakes, streams and coastal waters. Most states are authorized to administer the NPDES program. If you have questions or concerns about a discharge to a surface water in an authorized state, please contact a NPDES coordinator listed on the NPDES Regional and State Contacts website.

If you would like to report a possible violation of the Clean Water Act (CWA) or an NPDES Permit, please visit the Report an Environmental Violation website.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.