The U.S. EPA Office of Inspector General (OIG) hotline receives complaints for fraud, waste, and abuses in EPA programs and operations including mismanagement or violations of laws, rules, or regulations by EPA employees or program participants. Complaints may be received directly from EPA employees, participants in EPA programs, or the general public.
Visit the EPA OIG Hotline Web page
Contact the OIG Hotline:
- Toll-Free: 1-888-546-8740 (Nationwide)/Local: 202-566-2476
- Fax: 202-566-2599 (not to exceed 20 pages, including coversheet and/or contact info.)
- Email: OIG_Hotline@epa.gov
- Mail: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Inspector General Hotline (2431T)
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20460
Please note: "The identity of an individual who chooses to make a complaint via the Internet E-Mail system cannot be protected by the EPA OIG. By choosing to use electronic mail, you are NOT anonymous and you give up any right to confidentiality. An individual who desires confidentiality MUST make the complaint(s) in person, by telephone, or U.S. Mail, and must request confidentiality." This note regarding confidentiality was taken from the OIG Hotline webpage.
Upon receipt of a specific allegation of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement, the OIG may take any one of the following actions:
- Open an OIG investigation or audit
- Refer the matter to EPA management for appropriate review and action
- Refer the allegation to another Federal agency, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation