Frequent Questions

How do I get trained and certified?

EPA administers several different types of training and certification. You can find a general list at Getting Certified by EPA.

Here is more about a few of the specific types of certification:

Air Conditioning and Refrigeration 

Under the Clean Air Act, technicians who maintain, service, repair, or dispose of air conditioning and refrigeration equipment must be certified. They must pass an EPA-approved test given by EPA-approved certifying organizations.

For more information, see:

If you have further questions, please contact EPA's Stratospheric Ozone Hotline via email: or submit questions or comments online.

Lead Paint 

For information on lead paint certification, see:

If you have questions, you may contact:


Federal law requires asbestos control professionals to take training on how to properly inspect for the presence of asbestos and to repair and remove it. Training also is required to develop asbestos management plans for schools and to manage and design asbestos abatement projects. States offer these training courses, which must meet EPA guidelines.

For more information, see Become a Trained and Accredited Asbestos Professional.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.