Federal, state and local governments issue fish consumption advisories when fish are unsafe to eat. The advisories may suggest that people avoid eating certain kinds or certain amounts of fish.
For information about advisories, including information about specific populations or bodies of water, please see:
- EPA consumer site: Choose Fish and Shellfish Wisely
- EPA-FDA National Advisory on Mercury in Fish and Shellfish
- EPA Advisories and Technical Resources for Fish and Shellfish Consumption
- States issue local fish advisories that tell consumers about how often they should eat certain types and quantities of locally caught fish.
- Fish and Shellfish Advisories and Safe Eating Guidelines
- Map listing fish advisories where you live - Search the National Listing of Fish Advisories to find recommendations for eating fish caught in waterbodies near you.
- FDA.gov: Seafood page
- FDA.gov: Mercury and Methylmercury