Frequent Questions

How do I report violation of environmental regulations or an environmental emergency?

For emergencies and other sudden threats to public health, such as:

  • oil and/or chemical spills,
  • radiation emergencies, and
  • biological discharges,

call the National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802

For pesticide poisoning, call 911 if the person is unconscious, has trouble breathing, or has convulsions. Otherwise, call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222.

For information about environmental emergencies, or activities that might be considered environmental violations, visit EPA's Report Spills and Environmental Violations Web page.

Suspected violations of environmental laws and regulations can be reported using the following Web form:

Many environmental programs have been delegated to other federal, tribal, state or local agencies and they have primary responsibility for them. Often, it is most appropriate to contact your local (city or county) or state environmental or health agency rather than EPA. Examples of different situations and who to call.

Many other issues are handled at the local level. You may first want to try contacting your local government office for concerns about trash, litter, strange odors, recycling pickup, and household chemical disposal, including paints, pesticides, oil, antifreeze, etc. 

For concerns that may not be handled at the local level, the next step is to contact your state environmental agency. 

Assistance is also available from your regional EPA office.

Have more questions? Submit a request


Please sign in to leave a comment.