There are a number of ways you can help protect the environment in your everyday life. Some things you can do to reduce waste, conserve energy and prevent pollution include:
- Use reusable products or borrow, rent, or share items used infrequently,
- Select products made from recycled materials or designed to be safer for the environment,
- Turn off appliances and lights when you leave the room,
- Take public transportation instead of driving,
- Turn your thermostat down in the winter and up in the summer,
- Avoid waiting in long drive-thru lines at fast-food restaurants or banks. Park your car and go in.
For more information on how you can help protect the environment, visit EPA’s Greener Living page.
EPA also provides information for students, educators, and parents. See: Learning and Teaching about the Environment.