Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas.
- If you think you are experiencing any of the symptoms of CO poisoning, get outside to fresh air immediately.
- Leave the home and call your fire department to report your symptoms from a neighbor’s home. You could lose consciousness and die if you stay in the home.
- It is also important to contact a doctor immediately for a proper diagnosis. Tell your doctor that you suspect CO poisoning is causing your problems. Prompt medical attention is important if you are experiencing any symptoms of CO poisoning.
This toolkit from Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) offers consumers valuable safety tips for protecting their families from CO.
For additional information on carbon monoxide poisoning, we suggest you view the following EPA Web sites:
- Indoor Air Quality: Frequent Questions search results for Carbon Monoxide
- Carbon Monoxide's Impact on Indoor Air Quality
- Protect Your Family and Yourself from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Health Effects Associated with Carbon Monoxide
You may also wish to view the following non-EPA government resources:
- US Centers for Disease Control (CDC): Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- MedlinePlus: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA): OSHA Fact Sheet - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (2pp, About PDF)